As one might know, I’m a big Marvel and Marvel Cinematic Universe fan so, of course, I’ve already seen Captain Marvel. Now, normally I don’t write reviews about Marvel movies, because they’re something I just enjoy watching without having to think about what I like and I didn’t like. I did review Captain America: Civil War and Deadpool though.
But anywaaay, given the fact that I’ve seen it on International Women’s Day (Hope you had a fantastic day, ladies!), and Captain Marvel is the first female superhero to get a movie of her own in the MCU, I thought it would be only fitting.
Summary *contains spoilers*
Captain Marvel (played by Brie Larson) is an intergalactic superhero, that tries to end the war between two alien races: the Kree and the Skrulls. The opening scene puts her on Hala, the Krees’ Planet and leads us to believe the she is a Kree. She lost her memory and doesn’t remember who she is, except what she is told. During one of her missions she is captured by the Skrulls and recovers some of her memories. She then manages to escape and lands on planet C-53 (Earth). Here, she meets Agent Fury, which kind of becomes here sidekick and helps her on her mission. She finds out she is is not an alien, but rather a human that got her powers while helping Dr. Lawson. Dr. Lawson, however, is actually Mar Vell, a Skrull woman, that our Captain Marvel looked up to. She also finds out that the Kree are actually the bad guys, so she decides to help the Skrulls get their lives back together.
What I liked
- We finally got a Marvel female superhero movie. (YAY!)
- It was action-packed! Lots of fights, not a dull moment.
- We find out how the Avengers Initiative actually started.
- We find out how Nick fury got his eye patch.
- The music and the effects.
- The besides Nick Fury, Captain Marvel also has her best friend (from when she was human Carol Danvers) helping her out. I find it amazing that we see two women, having cool jobs (pilots) and helping each other out.
- The humor and the plot twists.
- One of the end screen footage was about the final Avengers movie (I expected that, but aaaa so excitiiing)
- The tribute to Stan Lee!
What I didn’t like
- The final battle was way too short and simple. Usually, the final battles in movies are really big and take quite some time, but this one was really short. (Or at least that’s how it seemed to me.) I get that she finally got a hold of her powers and she is really strong, but I feel like they could’ve done more.
- It reminded me a bit about the Guardians of the Galaxy (which, if I’m being honest, weren’t my favorite movies)
- They didn’t show enough of Coulson.
- The second end screen footage was funny, but kind of dumb.
All in all, I think this is a really good movie and you should totally go see it and afterwards let me know what you think of it! Or, if you’ve already seen it, what are your thoughts on it?
Verdict: Captain Marvel kicks ass!